Clean Monday



Okay so thats it. I'm a minimalist now.

Oh alright, you obviously know I'm lying. I couldn't be even if I wanted to. But I must say I do like the look of a simple, clean space now and then. Doesn't happen often around here of course. Friday night, what started as Jeff saying he needs a better spot to work in the studio turned into a weekend long renovation process that is still just in it's beginnings. He started by building a new sewing table for me so he could have the old one that he built that I stole from him (I know). Then the whole room needed reorganizing. Such a troublemaker. Then I was whining (again) about the horrible carpet which we've yet to think of the most sutiable replacement for. Jeff lifted up a corner and found vinyl tile! We had no idea.



I am of course aware that I might be the only person to dance with joy at finding dirty avacado green school floor tile under their carpet. But for a studio that sees it's share of stain and spill acrobatics, it couldn't be more perfect. Every surface in this used-to-be rec room whether it was trim, door, wall or rug was the shade of ecru dying. And I do like a good neutral really. I know its hard to believe me. But everything? Ish. I was so excited that someone put a color in here once, any color! I've held off on painting for the first 3 years of living here though, thinking that an almost canvas colored room was a perfect enviroment to create colorful things in. Nope, its not. Not for me. That beautiful ugly floor has given me lots of thoughts on the color of this space & it'll continue to tell me what to do. I am only painting one wall at a time, because each wall serves a different task in my work, therefore I think they should all be different.

So I will share over the coming weeks, how this place gets transformed. One wall, one color, one space at a time. For today though, the first day of Great Lent for us Orthodox known as Clean Monday, this glacial blue is perfect. I'll be cooking meatless dishes for 40 days and I am so thankful that the vegan diet started trending on several years ago. All those cookbooks are a dinner saver around here. Not to mention the ever growing vegetarian sections at the market.

Whew, all that indulgence last week happened just in the nick of time!
xoxo, AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)