Studio Sprucing

studio.sprucing

That warm breeze that blew through the house over the weekend has indeed gone into hiding, leaving us with a chill again. I've been hiding out in the studio the past few days, with nothing but music, sewing and photography. Its been a gooooood few days. And somehow all that fresh air did more than clear away stale winter air, it refreshed my whole attitude and inspired a bit of sprucing. The best part is it didn't cost a dime. It just required me sitting and staring for a while, remembering some things I've been saving (i.e. previously spent dimes), and dusting off a few other items. A handful of those Dresden plates finally got the recognition they deserve (we'll save the actual quilt making from them for retirement, of course). I have this one bulletin board over the drafting table that is painted with the same color as the wall (a highly recommended tip for making the items on it feel like they're floating). I try to change the board every few months which reminds me of watching my elementary school teacher, Ms. Spitzer decorate the class bulletin board as we worked on math facts. I was entirely too distracted with day-dreaming about how I would do it myself, and how she should have left slightly more space between the laminated illustrations of apples and books. I think I must have been a unique child.

paint.rag.hook

Speaking of unique, aren't these the prettiest hooks? I tend to hoard little items like this, when I see them, especially if they're on sale. Then put them away not knowing what to do with them, until finally it hits me. No need to wait for the perfect spot to hang my coat (who needs a coat when you don't go anywhere), my paint rags are certainly worthy of a print-y hook all their own.

paint.and.print

In fact it was the act of putting up those those patch-y little prints that reminded me that I even had them. I love tracing back brain triggers. I used to do that in my head as a kid when I couldn't sleep at night. I'd make note of what I was thinking about, then trace back each thought, trying to recount the mental path that led me to that thing on which I was pondering. (Oh my goodness, I'm conducting self child therapy.)

sparkley.knob

Case in point. It only took me 3 months to remember to screw on these little sparkely knobs. I had gotten four of them intended for a different cabinet, but only 3 survived, due to them being left out in the studio for so long and Eleni having appropriated one of them for something in her doll house. Can't find it now. Since there's only 3, I used two of them for these cabinet doors. I'm reserving the 3rd as a back up which feels smarter all the time especially when I catch Eleni trying to unscrew them behind my back. Darn that sparkley temptation!

scrappy.knob

And these are what I came up with for the set of four that I needed. A little burst of fabric strippi-ness that is really fun and easy to pull off. (Yes, I intended that pun, and in fact I sat and thought for at least 1 minute trying to come up with that pun.)

fabric.drawer.pull

These are all the ingredients you need. I tied up about 4 bundles like this, then tied each of the bundles to the loop of the screw-eye. I guess its sorta no different than a pompom. I ripped my strips instead of cutting them, because I think the frayed edges are more charming. Once you've tied on all the strips you want, just place a small piece of wood inside the drawer over the hole to screw the screw-eye into. I happen to have some random, imperfect homemade building blocks which can only be explained by saying that at one point in my motherhood I thought that real wooden building blocks were entirely too expensive so we tried to make our own. As it turns out, real wooden building blocks could perhaps be one of the most reasonably priced items on the child toy market. Also its important when building with them that they be straight, ask any general contractor. Oh and well sanded to avoid splinters, too.

wrapping.cabinet

Anyway, they cheerfully help me out at my little fabric wrapping station that I've organized for my shopkeeping. And no I haven't made all four of them, I was too overwhelmed with both my own geniusness and the desire to point it out to you to do all four of them at once. What am I, a factory? Why no, I am not. Please see homemade wooden blocks.

xoxox, AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)