Model Employee

model.employee

And chapter 4 in the sewing pattern chronicles. We have our dear Allie, whose job description here in the studio did not mandate being adorably photogenic, however she is overqualified. I do think I hired her because she has red hair though. One day last fall, I walked up behind her at the cutting counter and held a few different fabric samples up against her locks in the sunshine, just having a look. Unbothered, she kept cutting and folding with only a slight glance over the shoulder and an eyebrow raise at my scheming. I just smiled and walked away.

ruthie.portrait

Long before I was envisioning the cover shoot, I envisioned the Ruthie Clutch. In thinking about clutches, I thought about the sensibility in a bag with no straps and handles and the person who doesn't mind what some others might consider inconvenient. But I kept seeing the clutch shape as a very sensible thing somehow, due to the size that most clutches are. They are not overwhelmingly huge like so many bags that we carry around these days, because, well, do we fit too much in our bags and in most of our days? And that's were ideas of luxury came in. How fun must the outing be if we only need this little number for our possessions? Pretty fun.

ruthie.clutch.pattern

And combining ideas of being both fun and sensible, I immediately thought of my grandmother. Anna Ruth. Who was often called Annie by my grandfather. But just a few times, and usually in fun-poking flirtation, he called her Ruthie. It would usually be followed with a little suppressed grin from her. And I loved it, little as I was. It wasn't often, but it was fun. Like carrying a clutch. But my grandmother would only bend in favor of fashion over practicality every now and then, but always managed beauty. She was very beautiful.

ruthie.girl

So there she is. The Ruthie Clutch.

Been so busy here, finalizing all the printing for the patterns, and updating my website at every little turn. Also managed to add a Good Folks flickr group for my folkish friends. Today I have a new shelf to put together for some studio storage, and finalizing specs and colors for a new kitchen linen collection for fall. Oh! Also, finishing up some photography for a new collection of paper goods that I designed! And, I've got oilcloth in the shop now too! See. Busy. Toldya.

good day, xoxo, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)