Handmade Beginnings...

baby.toes
photo by angela crutcher

......is the name of my next book. And this book is the project that has had me captivated for almost a year now (and has had me dropping hints either with words or pictures here, here, here....hmmm here, oh and here too.)

Last September while working with my publisher on the second book concept (yes, before the first book was even published-it often works like that) I learned that I was pregnant. I found myself even more inspired to make the book that I'd already had thoughts and some sketchbook scribbles about. Even earlier, as I wrote Seams To Me, I kept thinking of another book that could be devoted solely to welcoming a baby into the world- a book that would celebrate the anticipation, the arrival, the mother, the father, the siblings and give everyone in the baby's life, including the baby, of course, a place and a project.

I have so many feelings about motherhood that are intermingled with feelings about making, and I find the joy that arrives out of each endeavor, to be from the same place perhaps. Its with this spirit of wanting to create things that are good, that are useful, that are beautiful, that are nurturing and loving that I've been developing, writing, sewing and working. Both my belly and my baby have been my muse as I write for maternity projects, baby projects. My family and my home have been my bare canvas, as I write for older sibling projects and nursery projects that will help to welcome a new life into the family home.

How many people do you know that jump at the chance to make something from her hands when she learns a loved one or even someone she barely knows is expecting a baby? I know many! And I am writing this book as much for the aunt, sister, grandmother, adoptive mommy, foster mommy, best friend, or neighbor who loves to sew for others just as much as I am writing it for the pregnant mommy who loves to sew for herself. Its a book that I hope stays on your shelf as an inspiring resource to reach for every time you receive that wonderful piece of news that always makes you smile....the news of new life waiting to meet you. I've been wanting to spill these beans forever it seems, and so glad that I have you to spill them on- mean it. I can't wait to share the book with you! Oh, which won't be until Spring 2010, but you're patient, right?

Now I have a bit of -uhem- new life making a ruckus in the other room, so I better scoot before he loses patience with me.

(and thanks for all the 37 love!) xoxo, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)