Rainbow Makers

family.block.designs

Kids really have the most enthusiasm. After the flooding happened here in May, there were endless local and national news stories detailing not just the tragedies involved, but also the countless, selfless acts of relief going on all over town. Compelled by all they saw and heard, Nicolas and Joseph particularly were ready to rip out drywall and tear up floors anywhere they could if they were just given the chance. They complained to me that we had to find a way to help people. I was moved by their inherent compassion and it helped inspire me to create Rainbow Around the Block. And because of their hearts, I've wanted to keep them involved as much as possible.

Just as naturally as the compassion came, so did the excitement to help me with the quilting efforts. I got out a few different quilt books for reference, a stack of graph paper, colored pencils, rulers and we all sat around the counter in the studio and had one of the best nights of the summer. After they knew what we were making and why, they were so inspired and had so much fun. We continually stressed that they could design their square however they wanted and not to worry about color or lines. I promised to work each of their colrings into a block design that we could sew from. And the icing on the cake for them (and me) was the idea to share our blocks with you! It was interesting to see that some of what they dreamed up on their own were already very basic and traditional block designs. It was also joy for me to watch how each expressed their individuality (what I know well and love about each of them) through the language of color and geometry.

So here is the first installment of the Horner Family Blocks: The Joseph Block. You can click on the link to download an instruction page. His was a very basic square in a square block. I love this block, and have been making lots of them. I'll continue to add more in the coming weeks, and also linking them over at the Rainbow page.

kisses, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)