Quilt + Words

great.grandmas.blocks

So they brought me a car load of family handworks to photograph. The best gift. One favorite and very rare example of quilt making in my family is this beauty that my mom put together from her own grandmother's blocks. I asked her to tell me more about, so the following is her description:

vintage.x

"My grandmother Hooton made the blocks; they are hand pieced. (She died in 1948, so they were made some time before that.) I found them in the cedar chest in {my mother's} attic when we were cleaning out for the "sale" before she moved to assisted living. I didn't want them to go to waste, so I put them together to use as a baby blanket. I found the "tea colored" flannel that I thought would look more vintage. Unfortunately at the time I didn't know about quality quilter's flannel, so it's the cheap stuff. I did use it for some of the grandchildren when they visited, but after a few washings, I decided I wanted to keep it as more of an heirloom."

Thanks Mama! This quilt usually hangs above the crib in my parent's house. None of the piecework is especially practiced or perfect, but it all feels so entirely wonderful to me. Given the general era it was made, I'm captivated by thoughts of what else each of the fabrics was used for, as it is unlikely they were purchased just for these blocks. I find the colors so very beautiful. I especially love the bold, solid black accents. Go great-grandma. I am inspired to use this exact palette for sumthin.

Jeff and I are headed to see Mumford & Sons tonight. Soooooo excited!!!

smack! AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)