Gee, thanks Mom!

gees.bend.here

Scrappy Birthday to me!

My sweetie-pie Mommy sent me the gorgeous Quilts of Gee's Bend book for my birthday, and I keep getting up from my work to go look at it. It's like a bag a of Doritos being on the other side of the room. Well, better than that. What good timing, too as I was just about to share my scrap bookmarks with you. So in the fabric-saving-and-using spirit, here is my little scrap inspiration for today.

fabric.bookmarks

They are every bit as simple as they look:
* 2 rectangles of fabric, in any size you like, sewn right sides together with 1/4" SA
* leave one of the short ends open, clip the two sewn corners, turn right side out
* one rectangle of double-sided heavy fusible that is 5/8" smaller in width and 1" smaller in length than the fabric rectangles.
* folding the interfacing lengthwise first makes it easier to insert it snugly
* after getting the interfacing in place, fold in the open end and press entire bookmark both sides
* I added colorful running stitches with perle cotton for some home-yness (sp?)

marvelous.markers

I have to admit to not being much of a reader, I never have been. Always more of a skimmer, picture looker through my art books, etc. I do think writing a book (and this blog) has changed that a bit. So I've digested a diverse group of enjoyable reads this summer and I confess to pleasingly pairing up the bookmarks with the bookcovers. Go figure. Something about holding the warm soft fabric in my hand as I read is comforting. Most likely a baby-blankey-memory-thingy.

scraps.on.wheels

So if you have lots and lots of this, and not the time to make a giant quilt, maybe a little scrappy bookmark will do the trick for now. Oh! Speaking of giant quilts, I finally decided that I needed to say goodbye to that comfy bed here in the studio in favor of a design wall for making quilts (notice a white background in that first pic up there). I know! Sad, right? I hate not having that little luxury in here, but it was the only way to fit in a large open design space that I need. I do think I'll be able to situate a comfy armchair for hand-sewing and reading with soothing bookmarks in hand in it's place. More on all that soon enough!

xoxox, Anna Maria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)