Take comfort, give comfort

recipe.holder


I have finally managed to put together this little treat for you and for yours (and for me!). With all the wonderful soup recipes that I've been gathering, and all those that I'm sure you'll come across in these most yummiful weeks of the year, I think we should store them in a lovely way. And even more, I think these would make fabulous gifts. So here is a simple little recipe card holder that I whipped up. I chose to first embroider some simple cream linen after I composed the design on the computer. You can click on the little graphic there to bring up the jpg, download it, print one out for yourself, then trace in a window and embroider. Obviously you don't have to embroider this project if you're short on time, just use a favorite fabric. Oh, and big news, this can be accomplished with just 2 fat quarters. I don't know why, but knowing a project can be accomplished in a matter of fat quarters makes me giddy.

inside.recipe.holder

So here is a brief synopsis of how the project goes, hope this helps:
1. Cut two fabrics, and one lightweight interfacing in 10.5 x 22.25" rectangles.
2. Embroider on the outside piece first (keep the pocket fold in mind when you are placing the embroidery where you want it) The embroidery is just a simple chain stitch on the text, then some fill stitching on the flower.
3. Layer the lining fabric right side facing up, then the outer fabric wrong side facing up, then the interfacing.
4. Stitch all around the perimeter with a 1/4" seam allowance leaving an opening big enough to fit your hand in.
5. Clip off the seam allowance corners with a 45 degree cut, turn right side out, poke corners, and press.
6. Press in the seam opening 1/4" towards inside. Slipstitch the opening shut.
7. Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and press a crease.
8. Open with the inside facing up, then fold in each end towards the inside center so that the pockets are 4" deep. Press creases in these folds.
9. Open folds and from the outside, sew ribbon or twill tape in place with a button over top, just above the pocket crease lines. This placement should put your buttons on the outer edge of the holder after the pockets are folded in again.
10. After buttons and ties are sewn on, pin the pockets in their folded-in positions and take a 1/4" topstitch down both long sides of the holder. Finished!

recipe.cards

Simple, right? And while any large size index cards would do, I had to make you some pretty printable ones. There's a Cooking Comfort Cards pdf over there in the "Printable Playthings" section of the sidebar that you can download and print out. They're already set 2-up for 8.5x11. The folk-y floral design is a little slice of my upcoming fabric collection. Enjoy!

cook.in.training

Okay, back to comfort...erhhh cooking. I was hoping to have my new aprons in hand for the giveaway before Thanksgiving, alas, it looks like they won't be here till next week. But please don't cook naked in protest, I promise I'll be sharing the aprons and the winner asap!

Enjoy your family and home and all that you are thankful for. Be back here soon. xo,AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)