Variation on a theme: Winter Bag

winterbag

The number 6 must be on the mind as everything I patchwork or crochet these days only seems interesting to me if a hexagon is involved. I think it started with the Patchwork Ball in my book, and then was only driven further home when I came across these Granny-style crocheted hexagons. Well I have started some crocheted hexagons that are slipknotting right along on the couch nearly every night. And now this. My winter bag. Hello winter bag, I love you.

winterbag.2.side

This is the Taxi Tote pattern, also from my book, but with a patchwork variation on the front side. I should say that with such a simple pattern shape, it is the perfect opportunity to get creative with variations. The hexagon is also the exact hexagon pattern borrowed from the Patchwork Ball pattern, and I think I cut around 4 dozen of them. I fussy cut all the hexagons, somewhat centered on florals from the Drawing Room and Garden Party collections. I wanted the centralized positions to sort of emulate the radiating concentrics of a Granny Square/hexagon. I am really happy with how it turned out. And also exercised a bit of restraint by choosing a solid tweedy gray for the back and lining. The trim is that same fine wale corduroy that was used here, and I love the cozy softness of it.

winterbag.side.jpg

To join the hexagons, I just attached one on top of another to join rows first, and then interlocked each row side by side and joined them with a seam that sort of zigs and zags. (Not to be confused of course with a zigzag stich-it's just that the seam continues to turn corners as you go.) I compared the growing piecework to the bag pattern every now and then until the patchwork would accommodate the size of the pattern piece. Then I top stitched long vertical passes (in that same vertical zig and zag line) of the hexagon patchwork to the interfacing before moving on the follow the rest of the pattern steps.

Have fun if you try it!

Oh and in the-world-is-never-quite-perfect-news, a small amount of book boo-boos have been found here and there, and I am trying to make mention of them as they show up and respond to any questions here at the newly formed Seams To Me flickr group. So before you get frustrated with what you may think to be a typo in the book, scan some of the topics and maybe it'll help you. If not by all means post a question! I will soon have a fancy corrections page to point you to as well.

enjoy your weekend pals, and still (gladly) accepting your soup recipes! xo,Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)