You may have this dance!

Folk.Dance.Quilt

Here she is! The Folk Dance quilt pattern is ready for downloading, printing, cutting, sewing, backing, quilting and binding! Got a few spare weeks? Me either.

But I'm excited to share this pattern with you nonetheless. The pdf is linked over there in the sidebar at the top of the other quilt patterns and also on the products/sewing page of my website. You must be told too, that making these sorts of updates to my website without calling Jeff, makes me so happy. Not nearly as happy as it makes him, but happy.

I have seen zigzag quilts cut and assembled a few different ways, a few googles and likely you would too. Often they are squares made up of two right triangles, and the zigzag lines just appear based on which way you turn and alternate the square as you go. My pattern is based on an antique quilt that I came across (which of course I can't find now) that was just vertical columns of larger right triangles alternating their color and direction. Then all the columns are sewn in straight vertical seams. Either method gets you the same visual result, I just liked the idea of less cutting, and also less piecing, and thought you might too. With this method you also don't have to break up the visual imagery of the fabric quite as much if you are wanting each "stripe" to be of the same fabric.

And maybe none of this makes any sense, but will make perfect sense once you've looked at the pattern. Hoping so anyway. The pattern details how to assemble the top and leaves it up to you for your favorite way of backing, binding, etc. There are several spots online to find out this info, and also my book details my methods for backing and binding in the tutorials section.

Mine will get some handquilting along every zig and zag, at a pace yet to be determined. I'll share that with you as I go. Overall I am just very excited about the look of these zigzags, with this collection of fabrics in particular. There is something kind of silly but serious about it all at once. And the movement is something akin to the charm of a ripple crochet pattern maybe. Oh I've started one of those with the new yarns. Yea, like I mentioned, pace yet to be determined.

Oh, and YES we will put up some quilt kits in the shop next week for both palettes of Good Folks for you. Have fun! xoxo,AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)