Mrs. Horner teaches a class

remedy

I had the privilege this past weekend of teaching a fine art studio class to art teachers from around Tennessee at their annual TAEA conference at Arrowmont School for Arts & Crafts in Gatlinburg, Tn. Thats right. I taught teachers. I know. Who would think they would need me for that. Well, my own former h.s. art teacher roped me in to be an instructor for the second year, and it was again, so, so enjoyable. I couldn't have had a more eager group of smart and fun people to work with, eager most likely bc they seldom have the chance to make their own art and naturally they seemed at ease to not be in charge of a bunch of kids for a change. Somehow, I could relate.

The basis for my two-day class was "reinventing textiles" through painting, drawing, and collage as shown in my piece above entitled "remedy". I got to share my fabric scraps (which they devoured like a bunch of students) and then got to watch lots of interesting things happen.

arrowmont.studio

The studio was huge, well lit and made me a bit nostalgic for the good ole art school days. Arrowmont is an amazing, beautiful facility and if you ever get the chance to go and do one of the zillions of workshops they offer every year, you should jump on it. Below are just a few examples of my teachers' ...erhh... students' works in progress.

student.example.3
student.example.2
student.example.4

chalk.1

Joining me in the studio both days (along with Roman in tow) was Juliana, who is never afraid to do her own thing alongside people doing completely different things. I certainly didn't think she would "take" my class, but stealing my chalk!? Come on.

juliana.in.progress

Okay, honestly, most of class time she was working on a graphite self-portrait based on some photographs we did together. She is hammering away at a batch of college applications and portfolios to submit, so she kind of used her time wisely.

chalk.2

Except when distracted by chalk.

The rest of the brood, as led by Jeff, had loads of fun hiking on dangerous trails where signs posted read "falling deaths have occurred", playing arcades, eating corn dogs, going on chair lifts, eating pancakes, dangling from precipices, eating taffy, swimming in mountain lodge indoor pools and all other sorts of things they never would have done had I been in charge.

I think they were so completely glad that I wasn't in charge and I am so completely glad that they all survived. Just barely survived, I am sure to emphasize to Mr. Horner continually.

More on our Gatlinburg shopping next! xo,Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)