Baby Zigzag

baby.zigzag.quilt

Hello Spring! Who likes taking pictures outside where you are not freezing, where you are not getting blown over by sideways rain, or you where you are not standing in snow but rather standing in spongey, new, weedy, flowery grass? Me! Me!

zigzig

Okay, now that that's resolved. Using Little Folks voiles and dobby dots, I made a baby zigzag quilt using the same pattern as my big Folk Dance quilt. These little zigs and zags run across the quilt's width instead of on the length. The finished size is 36 x 45" and I used only 5 different fabrics for the quilt top. The fabrics repeat above and below the center instead of every zigzag being a different fabric, which I really enjoy in this smaller scale. The triangular pieces in the center zigzag were cut from the large squares of the Square Dance dobby dot panel fabric, and then you'll notice that a few zigzags further the smaller squares of the same fabric were used. I love how this makes the centered bouquet motif of that fabric peek out here and there.

oh.hello.blossom

(oh, hello little weed blossom!)

I chose to do the binding in the same dobby dot that occupies the edge zigzag position of the quilt's design, which I also did for the larger version. I enjoy how it visually holds it together. And I always like using a bias cut stripe on the binding.

little.honey.flannel

The backing is Folksy Flannel, which makes it all the more cushy-wushy sweet and soft. I used one layer of bamboo batting and I think the result is really the perfect weight for a baby quilt. Not too heavy or stiff, moves around and cuddles well. I hand quilted each edge of every other zigzag in rather bold stitches from hot pink Perle cotton (the cotton balls in size 8). In addition to how much faster large stitches work, I just really enjoy the look of them. More on hand quilting later this week- I have a stitch-y post that I'm working on for you!

Though its not hard to figure out the pattern variation from the larger size to this one, we're putting together a another free pattern download for you that'll take care of the guesswork. And as long as our supply of Little Folks holds up (becoming a little scarce and many bolts are on back order until May!) we'll also put together a limited number of kits for this quilt, fingers crossed! Promises, promises~ a good, optimistic way to start the week, no?

xoxo, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)