Getting Dressed (and Staying That Way)

thrifted

When you spend most of your days glued to the computer, sewing machine or phone, with cookie crusted fingers slapping your lap, getting dressed for a wedding can be a dayslong process. Putting the actual dress on only minutes, but deciding all the components? Days. Weeks? Maybe weeks. Juliana helped curate this little ensemble both in person and via skype. When in Williamsburg in June, we had the shopping trip of a lifetime at Beacon's Closet. Best. Vintage. Ever. Not just vintage, but a random trove of every era of clothing from 2 weeks ago to 40 years ago. I found this Diab'less dress, $345.00 new tags still attached, but only paid 35 smacks for it. I know! I love it so much, hits about mid thigh, no closure, just a lovely a-line double crepe, with a plunging, rounded back. And oh, the anemone-like pleated panels under the arms, are so so pretty. Anyway. The line is a Parisian one, and I don't think any shops exist in the US anymore, and even though the dress is only maybe 7 or 8 years old, it felt so special. But I wanted to belt it. I was fully prepared to make a belt. I was headed to Textile to get materials to make a zigzag sequined belt (somehow I couldn't get the thought of zigzags outta my head for this) when I decided I should probably take a quick look at TJMaxx even though I seldom have luck there. What did I find but a random beaded zigzag belt from Express for flippin' $4.95! I knowknow!! So I snatched it, went home and tried it on for Skypiana and she gave it her gold star approval. What would I do without her? Now if I hadn't spent $120 on undergarments to make all this work, then I would really start bragging.

Anyway, what I really wanted to tell you about (the above was just a warm up) was what happened at the wedding that still has me giggling. I realize by the title that you might presume I was involved in a clothing mishap. No, in fact, I double-handedly saved a girl's dignity in the bathroom of a fancy country club. I serendipitously walked into the ladies room to remove the 120$ worth of underhutzpah so could use the bathroom at the exact moment that I heard a friend of mine say "its split from the top to the bottom?" In that same instant I knew that I would be sewing someone into a dress. How? I just knew. Maybe it was because I got out of sewing a belt, and the fact that this is the 3rd time I have either walked into a dressing room or just about walked down the aisle in front of a bride when someone needed my sewing fingers. I was oddly excited by it and happy to help. A certain lovely blonde Julie had a new dress whose zipper head was stuck up, would not budge down, but the zipper coils themselves were split completely open. And I don't know about you, but I can never get an invisible zipper to cooperate and get back on track when this happens- so we drummed up a (really crappy) needle and thread that someone found in a little-used bride's room. I whipstitched her into her pretty green frock and she was so calm. I was so impressed. I woulda been mad as heck. How much of our life and happiness depends on a zipper? Too much! And small world, Julie is from Florence, Al. and good friends with my friend Natalie. The chatting we did while I sewed her back together felt like the chatting I did last week at our sewing circle.

It follows me you see. Which is good. I just need to keep (really good) needles and thread in my purse.
It was nice meeting you Miss Julie.
xo, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)