Crochet Chronicles (1): The Lion In Winter

lion.in.winter

Its embarrassing how much my rear has been in a cushy chair crocheting for the past few weeks. I was all set to just do one or two things, but then Juliana seems to have become just as obsessed with hook and yarn, so that the pair of us now just encourage it in the other. We crochet, we chat, we nibble, we repeat. I did leave the house once this week with all the girls to go shopping. But I bought a new pair of pajama pants and some knee socks. We know where that'll take me. One night our crochatting had us up till 4am. But we were finishing Christmas gifts. So that's excusable. Another night 2 am. Most nights after 12am. Then finally one night had us giggling so hard and trying to fit Whoppers in our nostrils so I told her that the next night she had to go out and spend time with people her own age. More mature than me. Anyway.

fierce.animals

I made a lion for my baby. His first word was ROAR. So they get along perfectly. I was inspired by the lovely Blabla line of soft toys and pillows (for years now). Simple and friendly.

roar

Also seen snuggling along here is a sweet single crochet blanket Juliana made while I was pregnant with Roman. And the reverse side of his crib quilt peeking out beneath it all.

sister

Once abandoned for more stimulating activity, this little cub has no trouble finding surrogates.

A few lion specifics: Saffron & rust yarns are both Amy's organics, face details were radom wool or silk scraps. The face (and back) is just single crochet increasing in the round for a flat circle (I found an online tutorial to refresh my memory) and the mane is just a ruffley couple of rows of double crochet. I sewed a simple inner pillow using a solid cotton and inserted into the crochet cover when I was about 3/4 of the way around stitching the front to the back. The face details were just chain stitched on embroidery style using a giant yarn needle. That was my favorite part.

More soon, xoox, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)