Scenes from a Studio. And Dirt

my.sewing.nook

My friend Kathy was kind enough to ask me to share a look at my sewing space, so you can see that over here today, as well as lots of other very inspiring sewing spaces for the rest of the month! Anyway, it goes without say, that I have been chomping at the bit to get this place in order enough to share some looks at what the new attic studio has been turning into.

fabric.shelves

I am a firm believer in slow realization for any kind of living space. In other words I think the best spaces are those that get decorated, adorned, furnished, over time after use and function come to light. You can certainly fill a space in a matter of days, but really making it come together in the best possible way for me takes time and doing it wrong a few times, shifting, etc. The only problem with this method being that it makes me and my room a bit camera shy until it gets where I want to be....wherever, or whenever that is. But you know. Every space in my house is a work in progress. So with this new space when I have one corner or another cleared, looking the way I like seeing it, and not the way I don't, I'll snap and post. No big tada. No major 5-hour-photo-editing-post-post. Just some scenes. Here are some scenes.

favorite.tidbits

Snippets.

chair.stealer

I treated myself to 3 new chairs. Above Eleni has stolen this one. I'm sitting in it now. I lovesss it. I also love the giant sized needle I just noticed in that photo. It makes her look like Thumbelina. She's making a quilt with it. It doesn't occur to me to tell her to use a smaller needle. Its seems to be working for her. More on that later.

parallel.play

Above you can see that Isabela has stolen this chair. Both so different from anything else I have, and look perfect in the sunny office nook portion of the studio. Oh, I also got this little one to slide under the long counter. Sorry no photos of that yet....

Dirt. I spent about (lets see, 3, 8, 4, 2) 17 hours in dirt since Friday at 4:15 when I had to pull up one side of the black plastic off my grass to see what was hapnin. Dead grassiswhat. Anyway, thanks to all the amazing advice on this post, I spent the rest of my weekend removing plants, layering dozens of cardboard boxes and fabric bolts over dead sod, layering 4200 lbs (really) of topsoil over that, marking out a little pathway to Roman's tree swing, then dividing and replanting the plants so that they don't suffer out of the ground any longer. Speaking of suffering. Phew. I cannot move. And I'm only halfway done. I do plan a post on this, its just that every time the work in progress scene looked like an informative picture for you on the method, I was covered in a sunburned coat of mud (it was pretty) and no one was around to fetch my camera for me. Then last night I showered, got gorgeous (relative to the mudcake anyway) and went out with my husband of 18 years for Mexican and a movie to celebrate our anniversary. I ate 9 entrees. Not really...wuuuhhhl. Midnight in Paris was so entertaining and sweet.

So. I feel so chatty. This always happens when I think about taking a little blog break. But I need to, in a serious way. Blogging has been too fun lately and I have a job that I'd like to keep which is only slightly impossible for a mother of 6 during the summertime.

Hm.

OMG! I (almost) stepped into the shower this morning to rinse off the final layer of mud from my early morning planting session but stopped when I realized that I would have been showering with a mouse. I paced and said oh my gosh about 12 times in a row then I finally walked out into the studio where poor Pierrette was trying to do her job and calmly asked her (as I paced in my skimpy towel) to please look in the tub and verify that I was indeed looking at a mouse because it felt too much like a bad dream. Pretty much everyone else in the house except me had some part in collecting the mouse into a ball jar and covering it with a handtowel to set it free while I stood nearly naked on a bench in the studio saying oh my gosh some more. Just as Pierrette and I admitted that through the glass jar in her hands that he was quite a cute mouse, he lurched from under her charmed and distracted handtowel-holding hand onto the dining room floor where he ran around in a few circles before hiding under the china cupboard. There is cheddar cheese waiting for him now, in the jar which he'll likely come out to enjoy while the rest of us are occupied.

Also the tub is disinfected, which I doubt would have happened otherwise for at least another week.

xo, Anna, who couldn't let the week go without telling you that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)