Tending To Two

tending.to

I tended to two gardens this weekend. Only a tiny bit more of this, indoor, patchworky one (oh, but the joy found there). Much, much more time spent on the outdoor gardens. And not the charming kind of tending either, more the chainsaw, electric trimmer, 2000 sq ft of black plastic kind of tending. We've needed to trim back trees and wayward undergrowth from trees for a while, as well as hedges, limbs and all that. I also decided that I was finally going to do what I've been wanting to do forever with our front beds and that is increase them by about ten times. I currently only have narrow borders about 3 or 4 feet wide along the front walk and house perimeter, and I find that perennials just overtake one another, and quickly get shaded by the flowering trees, etc. I just need more space. Everything needs digging up, dividing, and replanting in a more thought out arrangement. So the process has me trying to kill about 1500 sq ft of grass without using chemicals. Without doing any research (typical Anna fashion) I decided to just sweat out the grass by using lawn staples and black plastic sheeting to cover all my desired new flower bed space. I'm hoping by next weekend that it'll be dead, and ready for tilling, clearing. Kill stuff naturally much? And effectively? Any input appreciated.

Being the genius that I am, I thought this was the best sort of thing to do in 100+ degrees.

Eleni picked this little bundle for me from our surprise Zinnias (that just showed up again after an annual seeding last year, I guess they dropped some seeds for me....someone needed to do it) and also some from two bougainvilleas that I have potted on the front steps. Thats about all the work I've managed outside this year until this weekend.

So. Back to the indoor flowers. And patchwork. And books and you.

Our randomly chosen winner for the wonderful Block Party book is:

Marika said...

I got some Liberty coming my way too and I can't wait to receive it !
What you made with it is really nice :)

7:27 PM

Congratulations Marika for winning a copy of the book, send your address details to amATannamariahornerDOTcom.

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments!

xo, Anna Maria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)