Bold Strokes & Fine Stitches

patchwork.window.view



It took me creating a new little embroidery- specifically for a table scarf- to tidy up my dining room, the whole house really, and share some pictures of it with you. I don't remember where I left off in showing the changes that I've made to the mess hall. I know you've likely seen it in its Raindrop blue stages here a few times. I also vaguely recall talking about how I wanted it to be cream colored by thanksgiving one year (didn't happen, it was all I could do to stuff a turkey that year)... and then I still picture these pictures of my boy on crutches sitting against cream walls. Anyway. The curtains are not new, but a patching of two fabrics that I created a few months ago, after deciding that no single fabric was doing the job for me. And I found myself hopping from the one turquoise fabric to another red fabric, deciding on neither, making something out of a whole other piece with some patchwork thingermagiggins across them only to take them down after a few weeks because I was not satisfied. Then back to the turquoise and the red, but together, making a new large striped print out of the two. And I love them. Did you get all that?



wall.and.table.bouquet



The table scarf. Here it is. Small potatoes really in such a large room. I grew up in a house where every table surface or buffet piece had some sort of a scarf, doily that was embroidered, cross-stitched, crocheted or otherwise that presumably protected the table top or gave a centerpiece or some other thing a soft place to rest. I have always loved, tiny details as you may have guessed, yet I am not a tiny, fussy type artist so much as I think in larger strokes of color and form. What I think I have learned on every canvas, whether its one of my fabric collections, a single blouse, a painting or a whole room in my house, is that its the marriage of the two- the bold and the fine- and the language happening between them that pleases me the very most. A balancing act, I guess. Something to react to from across the room, like a stage, as well as something to ponder upon closer inspection, like a walk in the woods.



plaid.pods.tablescarf



I may not have every surface of my house clothed (though I have a drawer-full waiting to do the job) but I do always manage when spiffy-ing to place some sort of cloth in the center of our 10-ft farm table and place either fresh flowers of a bowl of fruit. It brings me joy. Its the crossbar on my t and the dot on my i. It just makes it home. In the hopes that some day all of my children will have their own drawer-full of these love layers, I was inspired to begin making my own. Continuing the tradition of works that color my memories of what a house it. But new.



flower.coner.2



This little Plaid Pods design was inspired by my favorite bouquets as well as my Buoyancy print which is on the reverse side. My friends at Sew4Home asked if I would share an embroidery design with their readers and I was more than happy to let that work and my personal musings come together in this little piece. They just posted the pattern pdf yesterday so go have a look if you're in search of some fine stitches to talk to you. I'll have it on my make page soon too.



flower.corner



I have lots of needleworks news and inspirations to share with you soon as the official launch of the goods is slated for September. I hope you enjoy making this if you choose to.



bouquet.view



I also hope that my house will be this clean again someday.



xoxo, Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)