Cleansing the Palette



I spend my days in the studio accompanied by a spectrum of every type of material, consciously surrounding myself with vivid colors. I only get a break from it when I close my eyes, walk outside or take a shower and stare at the pale 1960's lemon yellow shower tiles 6 inches from my nose. Taking in the gorgeous coast was sort of like closing my eyes, taking a shower, and taking a walk all at the same time.



The first morning of our vacation I sneaked out of the house before anyone was awake to take some pictures of our temporary abode by the sea. (more snapshots of it here) I am not really a morning person, but I was wide awake and kept thinking I was missing something out there. What clean long breaths I took watching this sun come up.



With few visual distractions I noticed little things like the sandy footsteps that were already dusted onto our stairs and stomped into the beach to and from the water even though we'd just gotten there less than 24 hours before.



Everything was in layers. Steps, grass, sand, surf, waves, calm waters, sky.



It was a refreshing group of days that had me appreciating something subtle. Don't expect me to wear khaki anytime soon. But I'm coming to appreciate something quieter. Nonetheless, the quirky walls were glad to see me when I walked through our doors too, greeting us with hue and familiarity.



Like everything else, a little of something different every now and then is good.

xo,AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)