For a deer girl

deer.sisters

Well this little bundle made the 'would'a blogged it if I were bloggin' list and its getting blogged too. Do you remember how great 7 was? I can remember thinking that it was good to be a kid around then. Totally excusable if you wanted to play, and totally acceptable if you wanted to do something grown-up too. In thinking about this, I wanted to make something for Bela that would help her do both.

tracing.the lines.quilting

I mentioned that we have had a pair of does in the yard a lot lately (though we haven't seen them in a bit) and no one has wanted to approach their sweet speckled bodies more than Bela. They seemed not very conditioned to be afraid of us, and so she came rather close to them a few times. But each time there was just enough natural human fright for a gentle skip away, and I watched my girl pound her fists into her thighs gently in anguish. Nuts. Missed 'em again. She just wanted to help take care of them and be kind. Remember feeling that way? I do.

a.good.read

So for the sweet frontier girl spirit I see in her, I thought she would enjoy embarking on another of my own childhood favorites. I so vividly pictured all the scenes described in this book, and I know Isabela's little mind and I see her imagination painting it all there in the air as she reads to herself. Oh, and the doll bed, I just kinda figured out, but definitely knew it should have handles to carry along on adventures. The quilt is a small whole cloth quilt with this on the front and this on the back and this cut on the bias for binding. (I designed that fabric totally bc I wanted to see it as a bias binding. Joy.) I started it at the beginning of the summer (which is why its shown here) as a way to teach myself an improved hand-quilting technique, and I'm getting there. I've been playing around with different needle sizes and thimble combos to find what works for me....I'll share more on that soon. I did not stress too much about completely finishing all that I wanted to before giving it to her, because I know that one day she may thread a needle and do a little work on it herself. Which would be like a gift right back to me.

deer.sweet.mother

So for today's adventure of being both little and big, we practiced swaddling babies (twins, no less) and then she was off to the little house in our not so big woods.

One happy seven year old. Check.

xo,Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)