NYC series-5-Reasons to be Home

Warning, serious home happiness is rampant throughout this post. If you're not willing to cock your head to the side and say 'awe', you should stop reading now.



Jeff and I arrived just in time last Wednesday morning from NYC to get changed and ready for Isabela's last day of pre-K picnic. This is such a big deal as she is on her way to kindergarten this fall. We only wish she could bring her teacher Ms.Pam with her. The amazing Ms.Pam who has taught several of our children not to mention who prepared those scrumptious strawberry delights for her picnic parents. Such a kind heart.



All the food we had in NYC was so delicious, of course. If you can believe it, I actually missed standing at my own stove and cooking a simple spaghetti dinner. I missed folding laundry (is something wrong with me?) and I actually craved a little housecleaning, sweeping, plant watering and weeding. Weird.



Would not have wanted to miss the first captive of the summer. Isabela insisted that this moth was a butterfly which is so much more beautiful than a moth. We soon set it free, but it actually seemed quite happy on her finger for awhile. There's also been several firefly captives who either managed to escape our jars or have been set free the following morning. I saw some gorgeous things in NYC but not one real butterfly or firefly.



I loved the flower stands perhaps more than anything during my sidewalk adventures. The idea of stopping and getting a new bundle every other day for my swanky flat in my imaginary life in the city seems a most perfect luxury. But I was needed here with my own homegrown roses to defend them against the threat of the strong boy-kicks behind that soccer ball (notice a few prematurely dropped petals).



I was very inspired by the windows, art and such that I found on my little snap-happy journey. I have several more "street" series photos to share, actually. Seeing all the references to the handmade made me itch to get back to my own projects in my own studio. I'm diving back into my book writing and feeling really fortunate about this project. It's the main gig for the rest of my summer, along with some other fun. Juliana's been joining me a little more in the studio since school's been out too. Sewing for herself pattern free, photographing her artwork, manipulating it in the computer. We'll share some of that later. Watching her work is like watching my favorite movie.



A few nights ago we had our first marshmallow roast in the fire pit at the back of the property. Most of that was spent with Jeff fending off all the bajillion questions from the boys about whether they can stir the fire or re-situate a log, or just light this one little branch to play with. I just kinda sit quietly and laugh at how annoyed he gets and how threatening to put the fire out or send them to bed doesn't stop the questions. Fire is just so stinkin exciting for goodness sake! That's a very blurry view from the campfire of our house, the hills beyond and the intense blue sky right before pitch-black. I guess blurry is fine. Having that perspective on the house, smelling the wood burn, cuddling one or more in my lap, is dreamlike and blurry.

Hoping you have a bajillion reasons to be where you are. Good weekend, xo,AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)