In lieu of a regular weekend

drafting

Ooooohhhh the messes that didn't get picked up, the laundry that didn't get folded, the dust bunnies that didn't get sucked, the dog that didn't get a bath, the weeds that didn't get pulled. Oh well. Since when did spending hours with tiny squares of fabric rank the highest on a person's list of indulgences? Since this weekend. I drafted a pattern for my little lovelies with the hope of doing something not too squarish. I like the simplicity of a square, but wanted something spin-y and antique-y feeling.

block.1

So this is the block I came up with after a few drafts, angle configurations and geometry consulting. Can you call it a block when its not a square? Wouldn't it be fun to live in a neighborhood with 6 sided blocks. It'd be so easy to pick out from an airplane. Anyway. Not pristine points yet, but still mastering the perfect piecing order, and I think after about 6 of them I have it figured out. Humble is good for these though. The plates aren't pieced perfectly either which has really freed my mind from worry and made all this so relaxing. Everything but the outer border is vintage. Which is nice I think. New fabrics with yesterday's at the heart of them. They are small. The squares are only 1.75" so you can imagine how small the other pieces are.

block.2

So fun to piece though. I did a few by hand while watching seasons 1 and 2 of this with Juliana and Jeff. So some of those stitches were made through tears of laughter. I also pieced some by machine, but with such itty bits its a little harder. Faster, yes. But trickier, so I'll just do some of both I guess. I do the love the lap stuff.
Other indulgences involved having a whole day with the daughter and the husband to kick around some other blocks in town while the littler sort were occupied with their grandparents. Our house was in such disarray we just decided to leave. We don't normally do that. Best decision ever. Guided mostly by the girls, we managed a little of this, some of that, a new one of these, and just a smidgen of a visit to here. (Wow. I'm feeling link-y.) Man it was great. Now to cope with the reality of mess. Nothing new.
Hope you are in a happy chaos yourself :) AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)