Spinning Plates

Spinning Plates 2

Well, out with the new and in with the old, er uh, something like that. I just really get so lucky sometimes. Last weekend was one of those times. I've been on the hunt for vintage quilt materials, either untouched, cut or pieced and I found all three. I paid about 15$ for a big ziploc full of what looked like mostly scraps and a few sewn things.

Spinning Plates 1

Then I found more bright shiny bags that I couldn't resist and bought about 5 of them. All full of I didn't know what exactly at the time. Just knew it was just really pretty on the outside and didn't even open them till I got home. Inside the largest one was 18 Dresden plates already pieced except for the circular centers and their square foundation. Hand pieced. I don't have a lot of favorite quilt motifs except I have always really loved the Dresden plate, so I was thrilled. 9 of the plates are about 18" wide and the other 9 of them are about 15" wide. There are also lots of stacks of already cut "blades" for more plates. Juliana has her eye on them for her bed. Not that she wants to make it (the quilt or her bed). Ahem. Wonder who'll get to do that. Is it weird to feel guilty for planning to machine piece the rest? Seems like I should be hand piecing in order to realize its original intention. Although, I imagine I'll hand applique all the plates down. There, guilt covered. Makes me wonder who started it. I wonder why it was abandoned.

Squares

In a smaller bag there was just tons and tons and tons of tiny squares. I keep going through them to find a new favorite. They're all so ridiculously happy and optimistic its hard not to be affected by it. Charming, so charming, all of them! Ack.

Stacks

What a happy stack of stuff. What a metaphor. I find my tasks piling up kinda like this. Filled with good things, but for now, a lot of unfinished edges, all begging with an equally loud voice "write me", "draw me", "schedule me", design me", "sew me", "clean me", "read me", "cook me" and so on. All sweet familiar voices, though. They all belong here. xoAM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)