Art & Soup



We were so honored to have Eleni and Roman depicted by artist, Ellen Heck. Her work is thoughtful, provocative and just plan pretty. She can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this print is an example of a multiple-plate combination of drypoint and aquatint on copper over woodcut. Here are others made in a similar fashion as part of an ongoing series. In addition to her prints, and works on paper, I particularly love her canvas collection called Sleepers. The way she depicts the blankets and quilts over the figures makes the paintings become more than portrait but also very modern and abstract-but no less tender. Love. Anyway- I was particularly thrilled (not as thrilled as Eleni) to receive the first edition of 10 prints as a gift from the artist. Thank you Ellen!

Since we have yet another snowday today I'm in the mood for soup again. So I thought I would share my Creamy Tomato Chicken Chowder recipe with you! Sorry no pictures of the process because its not quite kitchen time for me yet, still in the studio! But the recipe and cooking is pretty simple so I'm sure you'll get it right without visual cues. I believe in you and your soup making abilities. When I start mine later today I'll be making it without chicken because we've already begun Lent. I'll point out the meatless variations for you as the recipe goes. Here we go:

Ingredients:
*olive oil to coat pan bottom
*1 medium yellow onion chopped
*1 yellow bell pepper chopped
*1 whole bulb of garlic chopped
*1.5-2 lbs chopped skinless chicken breast
(omit for vegetarian or substitute with clams, shrimp)
*8-10 small red potatoes cut in quarters
-------------------------------------------------
*1 32-oz box of Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup
*1 32-oz box of chicken broth
(substitute with vegetable broth for vegetarian)
*1/2 cup white wine (I know its Lent but the alcohol cooks out....sooo....ahem)
*2 cups frozen yellow corn
*1 cup sliced fresh white button mushrooms
-------------------------------------------------
All spices are to taste, but at least 1 tsp of each:
*kosher salt
*black pepper
*red pepper flakes
*cumin
-------------------------------------------------
*1/2 cup cream cheese
*1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese

Directions:
*Combine all ingredients in first section and cook in a dutch oven over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through or if you are making the vegetarian version until the potatoes get a little tender.
*Add all ingredients from the second section and let the soup stew for a while-about an hour or so, adding the spices (third section) and tasting till yer happy.
*Once you're about to serve the soup add in the cheeses, whisking to smooth if necessary. I also made a small amount of flour rue to thicken just a bit as well. It makes the soup very velvety and delicious!

I hope I'm not forgetting something- this is the first time I've ever written it down-- but I did remember the wine and cheese so it has to be good.

Have yummy fun~ xo,Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)