This very moment::

handquilted.dreams

:: my sweet boy is slumbering under the "sixth time's the charm" quilt that I made for him (and the book) a few months before we ever saw his sweet new face. I am glad. And you might have guessed this already, but I'm going to tell you why I'm glad.

I have found myself somewhere between writing a book and not writing a book. And even though the writingabook part finished up a while ago I am just now settling in to the relief of notwritingabook. I take a lot of joy in designing and putting together ideas in a book format, but I am feeling very glad right now that I am at a place where I can just await the fruits of my labor and enjoy the items that I made during the whole process of it.

When I was very pregnant, I spent hours piecing this quilt and hours writing the instructions and then we photographed a 3-week-old Roman on the quilt between the very frequent newborn nursings. And that was way back when nursing still hurt so badly that my eyes would well up with tears and I'd bite my bottom lip to get through the first few minutes and getting him to sleep when I needed him to sleep was only a dream. And now? Beautiful nursing and sweet dreams. It took me until a few days ago to realize....oh I can use this quilt now. An extra layer of love over the knitted blanket from my mom. I don't know why I've had this quilt folded neatly and tucked into place with so many other studio samples and hadn't put it to use yet. I do so much sewing for work, its like I forget to take pleasure in my own handmades and then I suddenly snap-to and give myself the gift of all those hours of trial and toil. Thank you me. That was so thoughtful of me. I shouldn't have. This must have taken me hours. I will treasure this forever. I'm welcome.

I am glad. xoAM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)