Taken by Juliana

portrait.front

Juliana completed the last of her art school applications today. In addition to sending in her portfolio, essays and applications, each school has additional projects required. For Parsons, the challenge was to find one thing in your environment that you've overlooked or taken for granted and share it from three perspectives, then write about each. When she read this project aloud to me, I insisted she takes me for granted more than anything in her environment. But I was kidding. But she got that look in her eye. But I wasn't wearing any make-up. But she always waits till the last minute and didn't have time to think of anything else. But I was really tired and hadn't even brushed my teeth yet that day or washed my face or brushed my hair. But I got her a new camera for her 18th bday and she was feeling really snappy. But. But. Okayuhh.

portrait.back

These are just the photos that she used as a basis for her drawings that I am too nervous to share here until after she gets accepted everywhere. But her writing about the images, was, well surprising. She really does love me. She called me things like her fellow artist and friend. She isn't suppose to do that at 18 is she? Oh that stinker, tugging at my heart as she prepares the very process of leaving me. How could she?!

portrait.profile

She also wrote about family resemblance, my hair always being in this "work" mode, how much she can learn from me and other things that she will explain like, well, "I had to write something" if you ask her about it. But then she snickers and looks away.

And then my heart breaks a little more.
Only because its swollen with so much love and pride to an indescribably gigantic size that it could explode.
Have a good weekend. Look around you and don't take anything for granted.
xoxo, From your friendly guilt-trip inducing mother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)