Like a Moth to a Cracker

sinister
wooly.blossom

A few months ago, as I began to assemble inspirations and sketches for my 2012 fabric collections, I decided that moths among other naturalistic thingermaggigins would play a feature role in the line.
Not much later we discovered we had a serious moth problem in our kitchen.
I don't mean a couple of moths flying around.
I mean that I open a brand new box of pasta that has never been opened and a few moths fly out.
I then almost hurl, throw away the pasta, grab my purse and holler that we're going out.
We cleaned out the pantry entirely.
Like, scrubbed.
They're back.
Moth balls?
I thought moths liked wool. Or flames.
Ours like carbs.
My feelings towards that moth art have changed.
I almost decided I couldn't handle making moth art.
But this collection is a little bit based on throwing yourself into the midst.
Of anything. And studying it.
So I decided it should not just be a beautiful print, but a shrine-like offering to the moths, depicting the most beautiful moths our planet has to offer.
Not the ugly gray ones in our pantry that like Cheerios.
And flour.
And crackers.
I am also in the midst of sampling various wools for some crewel projects.
Wool. All over the house. My moths don't care.
I love crewel.
Its like pudgey embroidery.
I might have news on the crewel wool front at some point.
That would be nice.
I never find moths near my wool sweaters. Never find moth holes.
Could my moths be stupid?
Like my nephew Eli would say: "It's weeyurhd."

over and out. AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)