That Sewing Doo-hicky

janome.and.me
Here is where I explain some stuff.

A Janome sewing machine has been on my sewing table for more than 13 years. I don't mean one or another Janome sewing machine, I mean the same one. Until recently. I was approached by the company almost a year ago about the prospect of working together, and was immediately excited and encouraged that selling me on their machines would be no work at all. I was already in love. But they almost laughed when I told them I was still sewing on a Memory Craft 5700. Regardless of having the opportunity to sew with many machines (they just sort of show up here) nothing could ever make me stop sewing on that machine. Honest to goodness. I would always go back to it, ignoring whatever gadgets were suppose to be the latest and greatest. And I think that does say something, it says that my machine has filled a need for me that I didn't need to or want to replace.... it never gave me a reason to look around for anything else, so we have a history.

Admittedly, I get asked frequently what I sew with, as though I might be an authority- I am not- just some experience. Many people are passionate about their machine brand- finding what you are comfortable on is so important- and different for everyone. I've never felt it a really big deal, to tout one over another, brag, insist, push, convert. The thing I have learned about sewing machines, is that really, who cares? I am always way more interested in what I am making than what is pushing the thread up and down, or making the bobbin whirl..... its just never present in my mind. On the few occasions that I've had the chance to sew with the Rainbow Around the Block team, in all the hours and hours of sewing together, not one of us talked about our machine or machine brand. We talked about our quilts, our fabrics, our projects and our families.

But back to stuff. After the past year of slowly developing the new relationship, I feel convinced that the folks who design, invent and make Janome machines know this. They know you have a choice, and most of us care more about perfecting our piecing, or dashing our darts than the name on our machines. I think that's part of what is working so well for them. They don't rest on or push the name as much as they just make quality products. So no wonder, I guess, that I was compelled to work with them, and I'm happy (jumping up and down) to say that I'll have the opportunity to try out several models, review them, and give old faithful a rest (not that she needs it) every now and then. And you might see someone familiar in their mag ads. Sorry about that.

So who cares?

Well you don't have to. But here is what it will mean for anyone who does care. I am partnering with Janome quarterly to create new free sewing projects, videos (oh dear) highlighting some steps from those projects, and going on some road trips to dealers around the country to share the love. I am thrilled that they were open to working together in whatever way I came up with. And I came up with it because I want my work to be helpful, and inspiring for everyne who supports what I do. And that's you, of course. I have already met so many wonderful and brilliant folks within the company. My quick weekend trip to Orlando was to give my first official hello at their biannual convention. I loved learning more about the history of the company, meeting Janome dealers from every point on the globe and getting to be among the first to see gorgeous new models.

But really all I ever wanted to was to have anything to do with anyone who designs the Hello Kitty sewing machines. Amen.

So here's my Janome + Me page, where we'll be adding more of my updates regarding that world. So I'll just shut up now.

smoochie.AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)