Reading, Writing & Arithmetic

perfect.packing



I only recently reacquainted myself with the feeling of what its like to have only my work before me. No interruptions. No distractions. Just work. Enjoyable as most of my work is, I have always been one to work best under pressure or to be most prolific when incredibly (unreasonably) busy- not as though I've had the chance at anything else, really. This week has been strange. New. A little uncomfortable. Today's brightest light was the sunlight twinkling in Roman's eyes as he giggled out a proud smile after successfully yanking his shoe over his bulbous little heel. Over his new school socks (because no other pairs are actually pairs at all, just two socks). Today's deepest, darkest, tiniest, and perhaps irrational fear is that maybe for some years now I have forgotten how to just be single, whole, complete and only me. Or worse, that maybe, that's not as interesting as it use to be. It was a surprising amount of comfort when I stacked some things up for a ticket-for-one weekend trip. It was. Having to remember how I would like to occupy just myself. I wasn't sure I remembered...

~Jeff told me after reading Half Broke Horses that he knew I would relate to the toughness of the heroine. And Glass Castle might be the best book I've ever read. So.

~One of the children has snatched the bookmark out of The Rhythm of Home, but I realized that I am fine with the prospect of reading dear Amanda's (or Steve's!) words more than once- such practical and specific direction to nurturing your family with more than simple affection.

~And COLOR ~ a book that actually offers a history of color, really a novel about color "and reveals how paints came to be invented, discovered, traded and used". It is so unbelievably fascinating, I will never think of that gianormous topic the same way.

~And topping my stack is a handful of cross stitch works in progress on every shade of my new Aida cloths. I have been designing and writing new patterns for lots of handwork....which will appear in several forms....all requiring simple, correct arithmetic of design. Which is a completely different way of composing arrangements of color and form altogether. No harder. No easier. Just not the same. I adore it.

My stack of me.

have a good long weekend, see you on the other side of it xo, AM

Oh, and Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Such a favorite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)