The Adventure: before; during; after

art.dept

We got home last night to a few excited kids and a few whose little slumbering bodies wouldn't accommodate our return flight delay. I thought I would say just a little more about the experience of doing the show. The actual taping was such a very small part of the entire production. Weeks spent on the projects getting just so, sending up samples, taking photos of the kids, studio, etc. just in case we covered that in conversation the cameras could throw those up on the television screen. Lots of preparation for a few minutes that could go any direction really because its live. Anyway. I thought you'd enjoy seeing a little glimpse of the art department at the Martha Stewart offices where I spent an hour or two of the afternoon before the show touching up the projects and getting to know the stylist/artist Hosanna and a few other folks. One thing I can tell you for sure is that place is filled with very sweet, down to earth, friendly and very talented people who made me feel so comfortable. Really. Could have hung out in there all day.

dressing.room

The nerviest part of the whole ordeal was of course the morning of the show. I did not sleep at all and was too afraid to snooze through by taking ty-pm or anything. So that's me up there in the comforts of my dressing room very early and very nervous. I had to arrive about 3 hours before my segment to go over the process a few times in front of the cameras with my producer, get hair and make-up done. It was so weird! I was on the set while tons of people were hustling around, about 5 cameras on me and my producer who was standing in for Martha, all of them waiting with bated breath for me to talk, move, do, so they can adjust stuff figure out the right angles to shoot the segment from etc. I looked at all of them and told them the last time I had this much attention I was about to give birth. They thought that was funny and looked relieved all they had to do was film me.

So after the run-through I went back to my dressing room for a few minutes, could hear Julianne Moore through the walls but suddenly was so focused on doing my thing right, that I didn't even feel the urge to go meet her. I just thought hey, cool, there she is. I was soon ushered into hair and makeup, just exactly like you think it would be, 2 stylish women there to do each. Deb, the make-up girl? Could have talked to her all day. It was so fun to watch her hands move around my face in the mirror. I asked her if she painted, and she affirmed she has a fine arts degree. I told her I could tell by the way she held the make-up brushes, then she picked up her brush set and showed me that they were artist brushes and not make-up brushes. It was like watching her paint a portrait of me on my face. And not nearly as icky feeling on the skin (for someone like me who does not wear much when I even do wear any).

Then back to the dressing room all primped, to sit and watch the show taping live awaiting my turn. My producer kept me company and kept assuring me everything would be great and that no matter what happens, whether any of the likely questions get asked or not, just make sure I move through the project from start to finish. I got all mic-ed up and then was taken to the doors the second that Julianne's segment was done. The set itself really looks just exactly like TV, all light, bright and clean. It's like when you look through those side doors to the studio it feels like you're looking at a TV screen. Surreal. They wooshed me into place and I met Martha. Really such a pretty woman, even more so in person. Jeff said the same. He was in the front row looking a little nervous but beaming. Then all of a sudden everything seemed really easy looking and simplified somehow. It was like, oh yea, is this all? Okay. I can talk to a person and show them how to do something, no problem. The idea of a live camera and thousands of people watching is really too abstract to even comprehend. So once it came time to do it, really not so bad. I think if I were to do it again it would be a piece of cake. Well maybe not. Just that the fun part would likely start sooner than it did this time.

after

After? Oh that was such a relief and I was not really overcome with a desire to see the segment. I was just glad I could relax. And boy did we! We had a wonderful lunch with my good friend Donna Wilder (creator of Free Spirit Fabrics among other wonderful attributes) and the publicity team from my publishing group at a cozy French restaurant. Hit every spot that I had! Fish and chips on a rainy, windy, cold NYC day. Perfect. And cappucinos too. Yum. Then a 3 hour nap at the hotel room intermingled with reading all your sweet comments on the laptop and talking to friends and family on the phone about the experience. Then out for Italian and more good friends that I got to spend time with in the city.

Friday Jeff and I took our sweet time waking up then spent the day just the two of us, shopping, eating, walking, and just doing whatever we wanted which is so rare. I finally went to Central Park for the first time (Jeff had taken a run there earlier in the morning) even though I've been to the city countless times. It was so beautiful and the trees reminded us of home and we started to look forward to that place as we slowly diffused the previous days' events. Going home to our home, reading all your thoughtful, encouraging, and funny comments was such a treat for me, and I really did feel like you came along with me. So thanks and thanks and thanks again for every word, every step of the way. I am a thankful girl.

Now to the couch. Hope you're having a good weekend. I did finally watch my segment online line last night. So weird to see that person who is suppose to be you. I barely remembered anything I had said until I watched it. I did remember saying that I don't make my bed, because the producer told me that the whole staff was cracking up, because Martha automatically assumed that meant someone must be making it for me. Funny. In case you were making your bed or something else weird when you should have been watching my segment, here's the link where you can see project part minus the intro and finish and heres the page where you would search for the "fabric silhouette" link on Nov.15th to watch it in its entirety. I will probably have a live video link in the side bar here soon and at the website. Oh and I am REALLY thrilled so many of you have said that you wanna make a silhouette! That is so gratifying. Enjoy yourself friends!
MMMwahhh. That was a kiss. AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)