Black Friday

black
My morning. So slow-paced and cozy here today with all my little ones in the house. Isabela and Eleni had gone back to my mom's with her on Saturday after she was watching them during our excursion. So it was just Juliana and the boys for 4 days and it was so...weird and, umm, manageable. Not right at all. So we retrieved the rest of the brood yesterday where we met up at my in-laws' farm and shared a wonderful day full of food and yarn. Anything better? I think not.

So its Black Friday is it? I will not be shopping. I actually do like shopping a great deal (I know some people hate it) but I've done enough lately in preparation for the MS show. Every other day Jeff says "hey, I like that shirt, is that new?" and I reply, "oh this was just a Martha runner-up". Truly obnoxious how I worried about what I would wear. But seriously, wouldn't anyone? Anyway, yes down with shopping. But by all means go blow all your money today in my honor if you so choose. The only thing black here today is my coffee. A perfect complement to my homemade baklava. That piece looks small but could not be more deceiving. If you've ever had baklava you know of what I speak. I really need to share my making of that with you.

I've been meaning to talk to you guys about black. I love black. And I've noticed that I could be alone there in the craft & sewing world regarding my love of black. Is it just me or do we not see much of it? Maybe its a little less crafty and a little more fine art-y. Is it more sophisticated or not child-like enough? Is it too moody and not cheerful? Clearly I am a fan of color and technically black is not a color, but it was a conscious decision to include just at least of a bit of black in my next fabric collection, "Drawing Room". It could just be the ethnic thing coming out (see baklava above), but every room in my house has something bold and black. I've never been able to leave it out of my personal home palette and definitely not out of my wardrobe whether its in vogue or not. I simply ignore trend watches or design cues that leave it out. As a designer, I of course have to be conscious of the way color comes in and out of the world stage but there is a balance to strike while trying to put as much of yourself as possible into any endeavor. Black, to me, is like white only more dramatic. I actually forget about white a lot. I see white everywhere in design and homes and I love it. I just forget about it. I have to remind myself to use it, and I'm learning to appreciate it more. Where on earth is this going?

Just thinking. Back to my coffee. Enjoy your weekend. xoxo,AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)