Me and B

boots

Whether I like it or not I have over the years become well acquainted with the proverbial plan B. I don't even remember what plan A is on most days. Do I have an A? I forgot to get an A. Where do I get one of those??

hannah

I think really this is the consequence of having so many plans that they can't all be A's. For a few weeks now I've been battling short-light days, rain, cold, and schedules to get going on the photography for my book. I had cleared a day with the lovely Hannah (above bundled in her coat between takes) to do a few (sleeveless) shots on Saturday and the rain was just barely holding off. We were all set, make-up- check, hair- check, camera charged- check, drove out to the farm and started walking to our destination. The camera however had a different plan. The 4 week old fancy pants camera decided it would be the malfunctioning lemon type of camera and forced us to institute plan B. Which was to instead talk on the phone to 3 camera stores, my husband who had the manual in hand and online and the Canon help desk, while beautiful Hannah and I stayed warm in the car. I fought off tears for an hour of on-the-phone consulting only to end up sending my new baby back to the manufacturer and await a new one. Sigh. I tried really hard not to cry. And it worked for a while, then when describing the plan of action to Jeff I squeaked out a bit of a pitiful sob. I really hate poor me scenarios and resist the temptation to feel sorry for myself in light of such good things and people around me. But sometimes. Obviously you know. Looking for good weather now isn't something thats really going to be possible for a while. Not that I want sun necessarily, but when playing hostess/mom/art director/photographer to such sweet and patient girls who are modeling for me, one has to be considerate. Well this one has to be considerate. How many times should we try this only to splish around in puddles?

my.models

So Sunday we threw caution to the wind, rain, and clouds and tried our shoot again with a borrowed camera, my lens, and some of the most precious people I know who continue to remind me that what I am working on is not about perfection. Nothing close. It's about what I love. I don't love perfection. I love my home, my family, my work, my art and most of all that model on the left who came along as a plan B herself when I was 18.

Beautiful things come from failed plans I do believe. I'm just watching all this happen and some days I feel I have very little to do with any of it. Even though here I am doing it all. I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. Just glad there are 25 other letters in the alphabet when A fails me.

xoAM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)